13 June 2014

How do you store your scraps?

 http://scrapyourscraps.blogspot.fr/2014/06/3-ways-to-use-your-misting-spray.html

Today, I would like to share with you my scraps organisation. Well, "organisation" is a big word for what I actually do, but it works great for me. The simpler the easier, right?
I think that I use this system since I started to scrapbook 6 years ago, so I never had to do a big scraps-cleaning.

I store my patterned paper scraps by manufacturer (and if possible by collections, but I often put together several collections from the same manufacturer).
I use two cheap albums, and I labeled each pocket with the brand (using a tab punch). Honestly, I didn't really need to label them because I remember each paper's brand very easily... But it looks prettier!

And I store my cardstock scraps by... size. I know this is unusual, but this is what I felt the most natural.


I have 4 flat boxes: one for the tiny scraps, one for the small scraps, one for the medium scraps and one for the large scraps. I also have another box for the neutral scraps (except the large ones), as they are the ones I use the most.
When I need to make a card, I check the large box to see if I can find a card base.
When I need journaling strips, I check my neutral box.
When I want to die-cut something, I check my small box.
When I want to stamp a sentiment for a card, I check my tiny box.
When I want a mat for a photo, I check my medium box, and so on.

Of course, that means that then, I have to find the right color, but it works for me. It also helps me to use my smaller scraps more, and not only the bigger ones, because I usually don't use a large scrap if I only need a small one.


I use recycled boxes (probably chocolate boxes!) that I covered with paper and then with punched circles (great way to use your smaller scraps!).

And the most important: I cut all mys scraps with my trimmer, so that I have rectangles with clean edges, even the tiniest ones! When I was keeping my scraps like they were shaped, I often bent them accidentally or I damaged their edges, and I usually wasn't really inspired by them. Now, they look "cleaner", they are also easier to store, and I love to use them!

I also tried the 6 by 6 scraps storage (inspired by this great idea by Betsy Veldman), but it didn't work for me, as I usually struggle to use this size... So I donated all of them to a friend who started papercrafting: she was delighted and so I was!

I've almost forgotten to tell you about my "odds & ends box"! This is a box where I keep all these little things that I made (die-cuts, stamping...) but that finally didn't fit my layout. I can't throw away anything if I know I will probably use it... And I do use my scraps!


Of course, my odds & ends box fills up faster than I use it! So, from time to time, I try to use a bunch of it on a layout or a cards set.


I would also like to share a quick and easy tip for embellishing a layout: gather all your bits and pieces from your odds and ends box in your layout's color palette and create a border...

Papers: Patterned papers by Simple Stories, Kesiart and Crate Paper + leftovers - Tools: dies by Kesiart, Toga, Stampin'Up, Quickutz, Lawn Fawn, punches by Artemio and Martha Stewart, and stencil by the Crafters' workshop - Other: machine sewing, Distess ink (Purnice Stone), brads, Glossy Accent (Ranger), vellum, craft foam and cork.

To finish this post, I would say that the best way to store your scraps is probably to know how you think when you scrapbook: are you looking for color, for size, for pattern, for manufacturer, for theme (Christmas, Halloween...)?

But once our scraps are stored...  What could we do with them? I found the very best ideas about using your scraps on Melissa Stinson's blog, with her brilliant "Use your scraps" weeks.

I love this quote from her:
"It would seem that my best tip for using up big scraps would be to not think of them as scraps at all." (Melissa Stinson)
This is also how I see my scraps, and not only my bigger ones: they are really part of my stash and I use them all the time, because they are within reach.


Don't forget to check Scrap Your Scaps blog for more ideas about scraps storage!


And you, how do you store your scraps? Please, share your tips in the comments below!



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for all these great ideas ! I "store mine by color but I maybe will also sort them by size, at least big and small...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, simple way to store your scraps and love your layout! I think I'm in the minority when it comes to scraps, keeping very few on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so organized! i love how you used your scraps on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed your scraps are so organized! I love that you trim them down to nice neat pieces, I try to do that too and it does make them much easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is such a cute layout. Love how those shapes really draw you into the layout, they are the perfect compliment to that gorgeous stitched border.

    ReplyDelete